Gutsy and Vmware

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Oct 23 02:04:40 UTC 2007

Speaking of virtualization...

The vmware-server from repositories that was working under 7.04 no
longer works under 7.10, and it looks like the repositories are not
longer the same for downloading it.  It launches, but it gives a general
"cannot start the VM"-type error when I try launching the VM.

I found a site that tells you to download a "vmware-any-any-update114"
and extract it and run the perl script to fix it up.  Thing is, I have
the file, extracted it, but don't know if I can trust it since the site
doesn't seem to be from or related to VMWare, so I didn't run it.

Has anyone found a fix for this, or know of any chatter about getting it
fixed in the near-future?  I'd like to keep it installed via the
debs/repository, so I won't potentially contend with littering my system
with crap all over the place or having cruft from updates/upgrades
manually done.

Info? Tips? Ideas?