Seamonkey -- has anybody successfully installed it?

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Mon Oct 22 19:31:54 UTC 2007

On 2007/10/22 11:34 (GMT-0400) Pete Clapham apparently typed:

> I have gotten used to seamonkey (the follow-on to Mozilla) in Windows,
> and would like to install it on my Ubuntu Gutsy machine.  However, when
> I detar the seamonkey tarball and try to follow the directions, I get
> the information that seamonkey-installer-bin doesn't exist -- but it
> clearly does exist.  Has anybody successfully installed seamonkey?  And
> if so what did you do to do it?

If you look on Mozilla's FTP you'll find SM comes in two flavors: installer,
and simple archive. I've yet to try the installer on any flavor of Linux, and
I've been using Mozilla's suite since long before Mozilla 1.0 came out.

After a new install, I:
1-fire up mc
2-ftp to mozilla.org and get the non-installer tar.gz
3-"enter" it
4-copy out its contents to a directory within /usr/local
5-if necessary, install package libstdc++5 (compat requirement for
mozilla.org builds)
6-start it from Konsole (to check for any error messages, and correct if
necessary)
7-edit my desktop menu system to include it right where as Netscape
Navigator's replacement it should have been in the first place as part of a
standard X install

Mozilla's 1.1.5 is running on Gutsy here, as is 2.0a1.pre.
--
"The basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teachings
we get from Exodus and St. Matthew, from Isaiah and St.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409