update-locale - command not found

Lex Thoonen Lex at peng.nl
Mon Oct 22 14:20:02 UTC 2007

Hi ubuntu-users,

I've got a problem on a (new) server running ubuntu. I'd like to set en_GB
ISO-8859-1 as locale, as I hope that that will solve the problem of
the server not showing characters like ï (for example) on webpages it
serves.

so I did dpkg-reconfigure localeconf and set it to the just mentioned
locale.

When i now type locale -k charmap, it tells me:
ANSI_x3.4-1968

(which i by the way don't see like that if i type locale -a.)

The special characters still don't show up.

I thought I'd follow this advise:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy#How_to_add_locales_to_Ubuntu_the_command_line_way

===========
How to add locales to Ubuntu the command line way
Open up a terminal
Generate a /var/lib/locales/supported.d/local from /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED:
cat /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED | grep "en\|ru" > /var/lib/locales/supported.d/localThis example shows all Russian (ru) and English (en) locales being chosen. Look through /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED to find the ones for you, then put them in a list, replacing en\|ru and separating each language with a \| (backslash, bar). If you only want one language, just put it in quotes.

Then regenerate all of the locales:
dpkg-reconfigure localesThen set your locale:
update-locale LANG=en_US.UTF-8In this step, make sure to choose the language and country that you would like your computer to think it is in. Here, I choose en_US, the United States version of English. Once again, look at your /var/lib/locales/supported.d/local or /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED for the one right for you. You may also want to research locales, using the Internet.

But when I type update-locale LANG=en_GB ISO-8859-1

I get a "update-locale: command not found."

(Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS)

Thanks!!

--
Lex