Ubuntu 7.10 networking problem

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Oct 22 14:05:22 UTC 2007

Alex wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please help a noob to get his internet connection going in this Gutsy !!!
>
> ok so i am in an internal network where i get ip address assigned from a
> dhcp server based on my mac.
> in the previous release of ubuntu i used to edit /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
> : ...
> send dhcp-client-identifier 1:0:<my mac>  (1:0: or 10: ... not sure
> which one worked)
>
> now in gutsy i additionally changed /etc/network/interfaces so that it
> contains the following lines:
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> still ifup eth0 gives me no ip from the dhcp server.
> More background:  <my mac> was set using ifconfig eth0 hw ether <my
> mac>  (becuase <my mac> on which i am granted an IP is not actually my
> nic's MAC)
>

> Any suggestions on what i am doing wrong?

Do you have an /etc/iftab?  Does it tie some other MAC to eth0?  I found
that after a fresh install, my real NIC's MAC was tied to eth1 and eth0 was
tied to a MAC that consisted of the first half of the real MAC for my
wireless NIC (which is really on wlan0, anyway).  I just commented
everything out of there, and now it works fine.
--
derek