In Fresh install of 7.10, can't get working: 1) dual-monitor setup and 2) high resolution

Ubbu ubunt2 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 18:12:44 UTC 2007

Thank you very much for the helpful emails.

> You have an ATI Radeon.  The radeon driver is now able to configure
> dual monitors dynamically with xrandr, but it lost the support for
> old-style xorg.conf configuration.
>
> Here's what Ubuntu 7.10 release notes tell you:
>
>   Dual-head (multi-screen) setups
>
>     * The ati driver has dropped MergedFB / Xinerama support in favour
>       of xrandr 1.2 support, and old multi-head xorg.conf setups will
>       break. To set up dual-head see the guides at
>       http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html or
>       http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

If I understand the email of Marius correctly,  "Screen and Graphics"
cannot be used in my case.

I read both links and tried the first link's instructions on setting
up with xrandr.

Print-out of " xrandr -q": http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/41553/

When I try to setup one monitor to the side of the other:

$ xrandr --output DVI-0 --left-of DVI-1
xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1600x1200 (desired size 2880x1200)

I'm not sure what xrandr means by "screen". The sum of the 2 monitors,
or something else?

Also, because my monitors are not of the same physical size (one's a
21 inch and the other is 19 inches), I suppose I need to tell the
Ubuntu computer of the physical locations of the monitors, where one
monitor lies in relation to the other.

Thank you very much.