Sound has gone after update to 7.10

Johan Sandberg sampan at dkss.org
Sun Oct 21 02:57:01 UTC 2007

gup502 wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 19:01 +0800, gup502 wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am using T43 and there was no issues with sound before the upgrade.
>> After the upgrade, sound has gone.  I have tried ascoundonf, it does not
>> seem to work.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> With best regards,
>>
>> Terence
>>
>> Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
>>

> After a few reboot, I do not know what I did.  I probably did not do
> much apart from shutdown a few times.  The sound is now back.
>
> Cheers.

I had the exact same problem on my laptop after upgrading to 7.10,
however I managed to get it working again. It wasn't very simple, but
I got myself a pile of new knowledge on the way, so I guess that the
problem occuring was good in some sense.

I had to recompile the ALSA-driver and set it up once again. In my case
it was the snd-hda-intel driver. From searching the internet there has
been a lot of people having similar problems with this issue.

This is a very handy guide for all sorts of sound issues in general and
recompiling the ALSA-driver is one of the issues that is outlined:

Skål! (Cheers!)
/Johan