Samba, from f#$kdora to Ubuntu

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 21 02:02:47 UTC 2007

--- Res <res at ausics.net> wrote:

> Hi Leonard,
>
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2007, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> >> forum says apt-get install samba, there is no
> such
> >> thing, it's broken into
> >> client and common according to apt-get, and can't
> >> locate the -server
>

> > Welcome to Ubuntu, Res,
>
> Thanks.
>
> > What version ubuntu are you running?
> 7.10
>
> > Note: Samba is optional; not automatically
> installed.
> > If you have the "main packages for updates and
> > security in you sources.list you should be able to
>
> Somehow that box was unchecked in synaptic thingy, I
> guess wandering
> fingers :)
>
> Samba is installed and running now, thanks for that.
>
> I think a new drive will be bought (the old RH disk
> is like 7+ years
> old and rather small) this week and a real install
> of Ubuntu will take
> place next weekend, I've played around a lot since
> installing in vmware
> and I am most impressed.
>

> Cheers

Glad to be of help and welcome aboard Ubuntu; you'll
love it. If you are really new to Ubuntu(Debian)
packaging management, you can get a lot of info on
packages using aptitude show pkgname or aptitude
search pkgname or key word. Or you can use the GUI's
as you did. I prefer the aptitude CLI.  Good luck.

Len

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net