Unusual GRUB situation.

Mike Adolf mlnx at mho.com
Sun Oct 21 01:33:33 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I was running a Ubuntu 7.04 dual boot configuration with XP from the
single internal hard drive. Then I wanted to check out Kubuntu so I
installed it on a second external drive. Now I rarely use Kubuntu and
the second drive is noisy. The problem is I can't boot if the external
drive is off. The MBR, uses the external disk for the grub file. Can I
replace the grub file on the internal disk (containing 2 OS selection)
with the one on the external (contining 3 OS selection) and somehow get
the MBR to use the file on the internal disk. Then I could disable the
external drive in DELL's setup and boot with it turned off until I
wanted to use it again.

Mike