In Fresh install of 7.10, can't get working: 1) dual-monitor setup and 2) high resolution

Ubbu ubunt2 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 20:07:17 UTC 2007

Hello,
 I have just fresh/clean-installed Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. I was
previously using Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn, where I was able to get a
dual monitor (side-by-side) setup working by tweaking the xorg.conf.
(By the way, I no longer have a copy of my older Feisty-era xorg.conf.
It was erased with the rest of my hard drive.)

 My two CRT monitors are NEC MultiSync FP2141SB and AOC 9KLR.

 According to the Net, my NEC MultiSync FP2141SB supports up to 2,048
x 1,536 resolution at 85 Hz.

 The AOC 9KLR has a display size of 19" (18" Viewable), and a
resolution of 1160 x 1200 (Maximum).

 Yet under Gutsy Gibbon, it seems my max for either monitor is 800x600.
 And I no longer am able to get side-by-side dual-monitor setup in
Gutsy 7.10. Instead, I am just having "duplicate" monitors.

 "Screen and Graphics Preferences" has neither model is in the list of
monitors. When I do "detect" in "Screen and Graphics Preferences", it
goes to "Generic" Manufacturer and "Plug N' Play" Model. I clicked the
"Add" button, and "chose the driver file" that I downloaded from NEC's
website (http://www.necdisplay.com/SupportCenter/Monitors/SignedINF/necmsinf.zip),
but the webpage that gives the link to that zip file
(http://www.necdisplay.com/SupportCenter/Monitors/InstallDrivers/)
says that the driver is for Windows 2000/XP.

P.S. Related Bonus Problem: I no longer have 32-bit color depth.

I was able to increase my displays' screen resolution to something
higher than 800x600. I was able to do this by:

" sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"

Question: Is running that command something that one should not do in
Gutsy, as xorg is controlled by Screen and Graphics Preferences?

Question: How come I can't get dual-monitor setup working on Gutsy? Is
it because the computer doesn't know that my video card can do
dual-monitor setup?

 Now here are what may be other relevant info about my video card and
system. I have pasted them onto pastebin rather than into the body of
this email because of the size restriction on mails in the
ubuntu-users mailing list.
a) lspci: http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/41402/
b) /var/log/Xorg.0.log: http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/41403/
c)  /etc/X11/xorg.conf:  http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/41400/