strange directories

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Sat Oct 20 16:24:10 UTC 2007

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:24:30 -0400, jack wrote:

> I ran rkhunter this afternoon, and it asked me to check a few
> directories, namely -
> /etc/.pwd.lock
> /etc/.java
> /dev/.static
> /dev/.udev
> /dev/.initramfs
> /dev/.initramfs-tools
>
> I'm trying to gather up info on these, since I'm not familiar with them.
> /dev/.static is particularly disturbing, though, since it contains a
> directory which essentially is a copy of all of /dev
>
> If anyone has some insight about these, I'd appreciate knowing...

I think the following is correct.
/etc/.pwd.lock <--used to lock passwd file during use of adduser program
/etc/.java     <--used by jvm to hold system wide java config when run by root
/dev/.static   <--created by some init/udevd system initialization-foo
/dev/.udev     <-- location of udev database of device nodes.
/dev/.initramfs <--initramfs tracking of sytem boot progress for splash
/dev/.initramfs-tools <--created by init script, but I don't know its
purpose.

They're all legitimate system files/directories, though. You can tell
rkhunter to stop flagging them by uncommenting their ALLOWHIDDEN lines in
/etc/rkhunter.conf.

--
sktsee