processes running

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Oct 19 17:33:42 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 01:08:17PM -0400, jack wrote:
> Kubuntu 7.04 running on a Dell D810 laptop
> When I run top, I see a process runnint called migration.  The top line
> looks like this:
> 2   root   RT   0   0   0   0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00  migration/0
>
> Anyone know what this process is ?

It is a kernel thread.  It uses no CPU and is currently sleeping,
according to the numbers you quoted.

> (Laptop has been running slowly, so I'm going through the processes
> trying to find the culprit and also educate myself about the processes
> running at the same time)

Slowness can be caused either by some process using all the CPU power
(easy to find: these are on top in the list top shows) or by some
process doing intensive disk I/O (these are rather harder to find, since
they don't use the CPU much).

If you notice updatedb running, that's your culprit.  It indexes all the
files on your file system for fast searching (just the filenames, not
the contents).

Marius Gedminas
--
Hoping the problem  magically goes away  by ignoring it is the "microsoft
approach to programming" and should never be allowed.