Problems installing gutsy with crypted partitions

Paul S paulatgm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 00:31:38 UTC 2007

Josef Wolf said the following on 10/17/2007 10:57 AM:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that 7.10 has the new d-i functionality to create encrypted
> partitions at install time.  So I decided to give it a try.  I decided
> to use the following setup:
>
>  partition   size   mountpoint
>  -----------------------------
>       hda1   100MB  /boot   not crypted
>       hda2    10GB  /       crypted, passphrase
>       hda3     2GB  swap    crypted, random password
>       hda4    10GB  /home   crypted, passprase
>
> This setup worked as a charm with debian etch.
>
> This is what I did:
>
> 1. In partman, I assigned hda2, hda3 and hda4 to "Use as a crypted volume".
>
> 2. I changed hda3 to use "random password".
>
> 3. Selected the new menu entry "assign crypted volumes" in partman's main
>    menu.
>
> 4. Now, here's the first problem (this is inherited from debian): there's
>    no way to skip the step to overwrite the crypted partitions with random
>    data.  Ough!  I had to wait almost 1 hour to fill hda2, then I had to
>    confirm that I really want to overwrite hda3.  Then I had to wait about
>    15 more minutes, then confirm again for hda4, then wait one more hour.
>    This results in sitting more than 2 hours and waiting for the random
>    data procedure.
>
>    What would one do with a 400gb disk?  Wait 40 hours?  There should
>    _really_ be an option to skip the randomizing step.

One of the options you can select is "Erase it" and you can specify
"no".  This is what I did.  It goes much faster, but also leaves the
crud on the hard drive.  But, that's no problem here.

> 5. I am asked to enter passphrase+confirmation for hda2.  I enter them
>
> 6. Then d-i says it is starting up the partitioner.
>    Huh?  I would have expected to be asked for passphrase+confirmation
>    for hda4!
>
> 7. d-i hangs at 47%

I had this happen twice.  I hit Cntl-Alt-Del to restart.  I was going to
collect the debug info on the third attempt, but it worked.    Must be a
bug.  I used 7.10RC.

> 8. I switch to second console.  "ps ax" shows that
>    /lib/partman/init.d/35dump hangs.
>
>    Indeed, "tail /var/lib/partman" confirms that /lib/partman/35dump hangs
>

> Any ideas why I am not asked for hda4 passphrase and what at causes
> this hang?

Maybe it will work on your third try too.

HTH