Gutsy rc boot is a dark experience

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Wed Oct 17 17:45:27 UTC 2007

On 2007/10/16 08:50 (GMT-0600) Jonathan Corbet apparently typed:

> I've been running the gutsy leading edge on my X31 laptop for a while now.
> Recent updates, combined with some ill-advised meddling on my part, took
> the system to a point where it would no longer boot.  So I grabbed the
> RC release and installed from the beginning.  Most things seem to work
> well, but...

> Once grub passes control to the kernel, the screen goes black.  It stays
> that way until the login screen shows up.  In between is a
> discouragingly long time when the only sign of life is the disk activity
> LED.  I've learned to be patient, knowing that the system will
> eventually come back to me, but it sure would be nice to have my display
> back during the boot process.

> Has anybody else seen this?  Any suggestions?

Many have seen it. The actual behavior varies according to video chip. It's
absurd so close to release that this is not yet fixed.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/129910
--
"The basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teachings
we get from Exodus and St. Matthew, from Isaiah and St.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409