How to install java in ubuntu?

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 15:06:59 UTC 2007

On 17/10/2007, Luke <hupann at yahoo.com.sg> wrote:

> Dear Mdm/Sir,
>
> I need to install java into my newly installed ubuntu in my laptop.
> I have downloaded the file jre-6u3-linux-i586.bin into my desktop.
> I followed the instructions found in the java site, but they don't have
> instructions on how to install java in ubuntu environment, rather
> instructions on how to install java in redhat or suse environment.
> Please advice.

I would advise you to install it directly from the ubuntu repositories
rather than attempt to build it from the Sun download site.

I also would like to know if there is any firewall built-in for ubuntu
> that I can access the settings or if this OS also require any anti-virus
> software to be installed. Where can I find all these?

You can manipulate and build firewall rules using Firestarter. Anti-virus is
not normally required but if you have a pressing desire to check files for
viruses you can use ClamAV.

--
Steve
When 1 person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many people

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0