[fixed] Upgraded to gutsy, now DVD playback issues

Albert Charron albert at albertcharron.name
Wed Oct 17 00:31:55 UTC 2007

Albert Charron wrote:
> I upgraded to Gutsy RC last weekend.  Since then, DVD playback is
> painfully failing while it was working perfectly under Feisty.
>
> I tried with Totem and VLC, both are doing the same thing, with DVD
> that were working perfectly under Feisty.  The DVD are encrypted, but
> I installed the libdvdcss package and there are some images displayed
> (but are skipping and jumping back, like old vinyl LP discs...)
>
> The video card is an ATI x1600Pro (AGP edition) with 256Mb of RAM, the
> CPU is an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ and the system has 2Gb of RAM.
>
> The DVDs are still working perfectly under Doze...
>
> Anyone have an idea on how to fix the issue?

Well.  Thanks to the list for the inputs. Finally, I managed to get the
DVD playing correctly by changing the video output in VLC. I think the
default was XVideo. Using this, it fails. I tried X11. With that, it's
working... kinda... really slow (voice and video aren't in sync).  I
then tried OpenGL which is working almost correctly.

With OpenGL, I only have a "refresh line" going from the top to the
bottom of the VLC screen once in a while. I can live with that...

  Albert Charron
  Linux Counter member #157482
  Registered computers: 195048, 361906