Delayed messaging in email client

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Mon Oct 15 16:01:20 UTC 2007

Rajiv Vyas wrote:
> This is not strictly a Ubuntu question, but has anyone come across an add-on
> or a script for an email client that helps you send an email at a preset
> date and time. So, I could write the email today but automatically send it
> three days from now at 9 am.

     Not generally, because email is so PAINFULLY easy to do from the
command line.  Try it:

     echo "cat /home/yourdir/email.txt | mail -S\"Subject\"
recip at otherhost.com" | at 2100

     This will send your payload at the proper time, the next 2100 (9pm)
that occurs.  You can also do other tricks.  Are you married?

     echo "'She\'s safe.' | mail -S"Notice" me at mysite" | at now + 28 days

     That was one fun use of Unix, back when I was married...  :)

     Although I think I remember seeing something about it in the repos;
use the keyword "reminders".

  Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
  Evansville, IN                              http://Fahrlander.net/brian
  ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller