mutt, fetchmail, and evolution

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Mon Oct 15 05:43:35 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 23:51 -0500, Chris Lemire wrote:
> How can I synchronize mutt email client and evolution email client to
> use the same email that has been downloaded? mutt uses fetchmail to
> create a mbox file in my home directory. I've searched google. If
> anyone has done this or knows of a good website to learn how, please
> tell me. Also I am unable to download yahoo mail with email clients.
> However I am using fetchyahoo to download my mail and add it to the
> mbox file that fetchmail creates, so I am able to see my yahoo mail
> with mutt, but not evolution. I'd like for Evolution email client to
> be able to read that email. How is it possible?

not an answer, but i had trouble doing this about 2 years ago b/c
evolution keeps track of its mailboxes in a metadata file, and doesn't
like to have them touched in between.  you would probably need some kind
of a mutt extension that talks to evolution-data-server and performs the
relevant operations form within evolution, or something.  i don't know
how to do this, but i imagine it'd be doable, given evolution's plugin
structure and mutt's immense extensibility.

in the end my indecision was solved for me when i had an injury that
limited my typing to one finger; mutt became too awkward to use and now
i'm stuck with evolution.  if i could do some hybrid like you're
suggesting i'd be back to using mutt 80% of the time in a second.

matt

--
Matt Price
matt.price at utoronto.ca