error when I unzip

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 01:17:23 UTC 2007

On Sunday 14 October 2007 10:58:43 Hex Star wrote:
> On 10/13/07, William Biggs <wv.kc8pdr at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > When I unzip a file is lock why and how I unlock it ? I set up as a
> > user ? I'm the only one on the pc .
>
> What do you mean the file is lock? Your post is very unclear...

Hi

Two possibilities I can think of here

1) It's a password protected archive
2) It's permissions are set to root and so a lock symbol shows in the icon to
denote this

if it's number 2, then he can press ALT F2 and type "gksudo nautilus" without
the quotes and browse to the file at which point he now has permission to do
what he wants with it, including changing permission and ownership of it by
right clicking the file, choosing properties, then permissions, and going
from there

However if it's a password protected file, it aint no good to him without the
password

James

--
"Truth lies within ourselves: it takes no rise from outward things, whatever
you may believe. There is an inmost center in us all, where truth abides in

(Robert Browning)