Problems with ATI Radeon 2600 on Gutsy

Mauro Faccenda faccenda at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 20:17:45 UTC 2007

Nils wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I installed Gusty on a new laptop (hp compaq 8510p) and it seems that
> it did not recognize the correct screen resolution. I'm also using the
> vesa driver, because it's not supported by the open source radeon
> driver (I guess..) and the restricted driver manager did not recognize
> it. The only problem is that xorg.conf is no longer used.

the vesa driver, doesn't support widescreen resolutions, if it is your case.

and xorg.conf is still used, but you can install the fglrx driver
manually with:

# apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx

and it can setup everything for you.

> So how can I change the screen resolution manually? Also is there a
> way to install fglrx or will it be supported by the radeon driver
> soon?

you can get the detected supported resolutions in your system with:

$ xrandr

i think you can change it with it too.

hope it helps

[]'s