Congrats on the new press!

Matthew McKinnon mmckinnon at internode.on.net
Thu Oct 11 06:37:42 UTC 2007

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:

>>> And to Automatix. "To watch a movie, the Linux user must install
>>> necessary codecs, or decoders. One way to do that is to first download a
>>> program called Automatix from www.getautomatix.com."
>>>
>>> It's incredible how pervasive this meme is, and since Feisty the codec
>>> things even works automatically for most things (except DVD, and there
>>> is a 2-line command right there in the Ubuntu help in the System menu).
>>>
>>> It just seems to never go away, and new users will keep to get burnt.
>>> http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html
>>>

> 	Maybe there should be something added to ubuntu-base that watches for
> the user starting to run Automatix, then either a) stops it cold; or b)
> give the user a full screen warning about the danger of using it, and
> that it's a bad idea to use Automatix.

I used automatix as I was following the guide on setting up ubuntu on
howtoforge.com. When I came across the post from the ubuntu forums on
the dangers of using automatix I removed it, all I need to do now is get
a list of the software from automatix and then just get the commands to
install them manually...

Moe