auto start program

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Wed Oct 10 15:17:48 UTC 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:02:30 -0600, Charlie Kravetz wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 01:01 +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:

>> > or ~/.xsession (once per X session), or KDE has a per-user Autostart
>> > folder and I would have thought Gnome would too.
>>
>> The equivalent to KDE's Autostart directory is a file, in GNOME - viz.
>>
>> ~/.gnomerc
>>
>> You can put commands in that file -  I use it to start the synergy
>> server/client setup I use to mouse from one machine's screen to another
>> on the network ( desktop <-> laptop , for example).
>>
>> For fluxbox I use ~/.xsession as you say - but this only works if you
>> either choose the "default session" option in GDM or set up your own
>> fluxbox.desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions/  ( I do the latter )
>>
>> For GUI apps with GNOME, it is easier to simply save the session,
>> assuming the app concerned understands GNOME's session management.
>>
>> Peter
>>
> Am I right that any of these are set per user? By placing commands in
> /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default for GNOME, the command is run at login for
> any user logging in to the system. Seems like this will save some work
> on multi-user systems?

The preferred method for autostarting applications in freedesktop.org
standards-compliant desktop environments (like Gnome and KDE) is to place
an application's desktop configuration file (application_name.desktop) in
the directory /etc/xdg/autostart for system-wide usage, or in
~/.config/autostart for per-user settings. For setting an application to
autostart on an individual user basis in Gnome, you would open
gnome-session-properties by navigating to System->Preferences->Sessions
and adding a path to the application to be autostarted.

For more information on the freedesktop.org desktop standards go here:

http://standards.freedesktop.org

--
sktsee