xorg logging / turning off bulletproof x?

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 10 16:08:15 UTC 2007

hi,

I'm having a problem with xorg right now, as of my most recent gutsy
update (last night) -- i can't load xorg using the nvidia module (see my
bug report  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/151213 ).

In trying to diagnose it, I'm having trouble finding the xorg log from
the unsuccsessful attempt made with nvidia; and instead of the old,
user-unfriendly but informative text message that gdm gave when x
failed, I get the graphical bulletproof x screen suggesting i start x
with the vesa module in 800x600 mode.  Since I need the detailed xserver
log to diagnose my problem, i'm wondering if there's any way for me to
turn off the failsafe x, & grab my logging infor from the screen.

thanks,

matt

--
Matt Price