Boot screen: Quiet or not?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Oct 10 14:08:59 UTC 2007

Steve Flynn wrote:

> On 10/10/2007, *Bart Silverstrim* <bsilver at chrononomicon.com
> <mailto:bsilver at chrononomicon.com>> wrote:
>
>     Mario Vukelic wrote:
>      > On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 22:33 -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>      >> Two solutions.
>      >>
>      >> Turn off your monitor, or stop rebooting.
>      >>
>      >> Ooh!  Run your computer headless.  Then you can access it remotely
>      >> and
>      >> never see ANY boot messages.
>      >>

> Right now, on this very list is a user saying he's installed 7.04 and is
> faced with a black screen (presumably X has failed to start) but as all
> he has is a black screen he has NO information on what he should put in
> his request to this list asking for help.
>
> We can debate the pros and cons of boot screens versus boot messages for
> months and never come to any consensus. In the meantime, a user still
> has a totally black screen and no indication why.

I was waiting for Mario to mention that.

Did the user see anything just before it went black, i.e., how far into
the process it went before going *poof*?

Second, if using Grub, he may have to try booting into single user mode
and disabling X.org (/etc/X11/default...whatever that default manager
file is, replacing the line with "false".  Make a backup of the file
first so it can be switched back.

See what comes up with boot then, or if he can get to the logs.