Boot screen: Quiet or not?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed Oct 10 05:55:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 22:33 -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Two solutions.
>
> Turn off your monitor, or stop rebooting.
>
> Ooh!  Run your computer headless.  Then you can access it remotely
> and
> never see ANY boot messages.
>
> *sigh*

What's YOUR problem? Look, I personally don't care for these messages,
but if they are there I don't care either, they are just not as exciting
anymore as they were 11 years ago when I booted my first Slackware. If
watched disks being mounted thousands of times, so what.
If something goes wrong, please tell me. But otherwise a faster, not
distracting boot is worth more to me.

But the whole discussion is not about expert users (who can change a
one-liner in menu.lst), but about non-experts. And I do think that the
boot splash is preferable for them.