[Adobe Reader 8.1.1] was Re: apt update

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 10 03:01:14 UTC 2007

On 10/09/2007 12:06 PM, NoOp wrote:

> The acroread version in medibuntu is 7.09, Adobe now have a .deb version
> for 8.1.1:
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_allversions_nojs1.html
> which I've just installed on Feisty 7.04 and it runs just fine. If you'd
> rather install 8.1.1:

Added note: 8.1.1 even with all of the javascript & other wizbang
options that I can think of to turn off (which I always do w/AR) the
initial startup takes at least twice as long to load than 7.09. The
interface comes up quickly, but then you have to wait for about 10 sec
of disk thrashing before you can even enter a File|Open menu. Menu &
toolbar appearances are crappy (IMO) compared to 7.09, and the standard
sidebars (Search/Pages/Attachments etc) just plain suck (again in my
opinion). So... it works, but can't say that I'd recommend it over 7.09
with the exception of security fixes etc.