Boot screen: Quiet or not?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue Oct 9 18:39:17 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 08:49 -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> I said, why not just have it as a preference?

Because it's a useless preference that shouldn't confuse people who have
no need to know  [1]. People who should know or care enough can just set
the grub parameter, as was explained in this thread. I have also just
posted that AFAIK the boot splash disappears when an error happens. If
it does not do this it should be fixed, but even then there is a better
way than just dropping the unsuspecting user on a cryptic console error.

[1] If you don't have time to read the whole things, at least read "The
Question of Preferences"