How to reboot from start scripts?

Andrew Glen-Young aglenyoung at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 15:18:54 UTC 2007

On 09/10/2007, Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:
> Thanks for your efforts to reproduce the problem, Andrew!  Are you really
> sure you were on the single-user-shell that is started when fsck notices
> a problem at bootup?  If so, then it is indeed a new defect.  And since
> upstart was introduced in Edgy AFAIK, it seems to be likely that this
> problem is related to upstart.

Yup. Looks like the problem is related to upstart as reported by Derek
Broughton on this thread.

> > I could not induce the rescue shell like you suggested (by editing the
> > 'checkfs.sh' file).
>
> I edited checkroot.sh, not checkfs.sh.  I have no clue whether checkroot.sh
> already existed in Dapper, though.

Whoops, I misread that! Good thing it's not a production system ;-)

> Ough, I don't get thrown into the single-user-shell this way.  I used
> the 'e' key to edit the commands, then the 'e' key to edit the "kernel"
> line, then appended "rootfatal=yes" to this line.

This is what I did to give me a rescue shell.

> I first noticed it on edgy when I built my own preseeded install-cd which
> needed reboots during the install process in order to get a new kernel
> running.  Currently, I have Feisty and experience the same (IMHO broken)
> behavior.

This seems to me to be bad behavior. Perhaps a nudge on Launchpad with
some updated information and more in depth analysis is what is
required? Bug #66002 if you haven't read Derek Broughton's reply.

- A.