application removal

norman norman at littletank.org
Tue Oct 9 13:22:58 UTC 2007

I am having a problem in removing an application and would welcome some
help please. There are 2 different versions of Gimp installed on the
machine, both appearing separately in the list of Graphics applications.
I only want one of them so, using synaptic, I remove the one I do not
want and it no longer appears in the Graphics list. Now, I want to
install a Gimp plugin which I download, double click the icon and follow
the instructions. Not only is this plugin not installed in the remaining
version of the Gimp but the other version, which I thought had been
removed, appears in the Graphics list and it's there that the plugin has
been installed.

Why does this happen and what should I do? I would prefer not to remove
both versions and start again but, if that is the only solution, so be
it.

Norman