NVIDIA Question

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Oct 9 02:29:07 UTC 2007

Please let there be some other users on the list that use the NVIDIA
GeForce 8600 series...device 0402?

That's what I'm running in my Ubuntu system.  Very recently I've noticed
more lockups that usual...but I don't know if it's because of recent
updates or something I was doing.

Okay, I was trying to get Truecrypt running.  Following a HOWTO example,
I tried formatting a 70 gig file mounted under truecrypt as an ext3
filesystem.  Twice it locked up X tight when nearly halfway through the
format.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  Seemed pretty reproducible.  Don't do the
format of the 70 gig file, it didn't lock up.  Ooookay.

Got the system running, checked with fsck (sudo touch /forcefsck,
reboot).  Things seemed happy.  Went to bed as the 3ware card finished
"initilizing" from the forced restart.  System log seemed fine.  Etc.

During the day today, I was able to connect to my system remotely
through ssh tunnel to run OOCalc.  Updated some tables, synced the data
to my external USB drives.  No problems.

Came home, still nothing out of the ordinary.  The system had the
desktop locked (as in a password), and the screensaver had been running
last night and then the display went to sleep as it always did after
inactivity.  This was the state it was in when I left for work this
morning, it would have been like this when I logged in from work
remotely.  Nothing out of the ordinary...

I moved the mouse. Nothing.  No password prompt.  Uh-oh.

Pulled a Macbook out of my bag, tried pinging the internal address.
Nothing.  Control-alt-backspace.  Nothing.  The system just sat there,
screen dark, fans whirring as usual.  Hit the reset button.  Came back
online.

I downloaded the latest video drivers after that, upgrading from .11 to
.19 from the NVIDIA site.  I'm pushing the system as best I can by
allocating 1.7 gig RAM to a VMWare virtual machine (also running Ubuntu
7.04) out of my system's 2 gig and doing updates, along with a couple
tar jobs and md5sums of large files to try stressing it a little with
memory and drive use.  The 3ware 3dm2 is reporting no errors with the
drives.  System logs don't seem to show anything.  The only thing I know
I've run into problems before with is the NVIDIA 8600 card being buggy
with the enhanced desktop enabled.

Now...have other people out there with the 8600 had lockup problems
sporadically occur with the Ubuntu enhanced desktop enabled?