How to reboot from start scripts?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Oct 8 20:28:38 UTC 2007

Josef Wolf wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 05:42:21PM +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 09:37:29AM -0500, glenn opdycke-hansen wrote:
>> > Another option (to reboot) is to Ctl-Alt-Backspace to shut down
>> > XWindows. Than should bring up a logon screen where you can select
>> > reboot.
>>
>> I just tried and noticed that ctrl-alt-backspace is even worse:
>>
>> I forced /etc/init.d/checkfs.sh to notice a problem on the root partition
>> and throw me into a root shell to fix that problem.  From that shell,
>> I pressed C-A-D.  See what happened:
>>
>> The boot seems to continue and finally X11 is started up.  I switch
>> back to vterm1 with CTRL-ALT-F1 and see the login prompt.  But when I
>> try to login on vterm1, I notice that the root shell is still running
>> and tries to execute my login name as a command!  That means that login
>> and shell were racing for terminal input from vterm1.

This looks bad...

>> Next, I pressed CTRL-D several times to get rid of the shell.  Surprise:
>> as soon as the shell exits, fsck on the remaining disks start to run!
>>
>> That means, ctrl-alt-del started up into multiuser mode while not even
>> all filesystems were checked/mounted.  I consider this to be a very
>> strange behavior which is far from what I would have expected.

While you've definitely got problems here, this _is_ what I expect.

Given that we can't find any way to actually reboot from inside the
single-user mode, exiting, ctrl-alt-del, "init N", shutdown, or anything
else you can think of is going to have the same result, and one of the
results of exiting the single-user shell is that all of the secondary
partitions (ie, not /) get fscked (at least, if fsck is required) on entry
to runlevel 2.

--
derek