[users]Re: Command Line Interfaces

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Mon Oct 8 19:45:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 15:22 -0400, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Monday 08 October 2007, Michael R. Head wrote:
> > > You should NOT have to run  update-grub.
> > >
> > > The GRUB menu.lst is read at boot time.  Nothing else need be done.
> >
> > But each kernel command line option won't be updated until you run
> > update-grub.
>
> Strange, because I have never run update-grub and as far as I know, adding a
> new kernel with Adept updates the menu list.  I would guess that Adept may
> run update-grub if that is required.

> But in any case.... adding a  vga=  to a kernel line should not require
> running update-grub....   I make changes to kernel lines all the time.
>

> " But each kernel command line option won't be updated until you run
> update-grub"
>
> Can you clarify what you mean by the above?.

Read /boot/grub/menu.lst, where it says:

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

If you want every kernel to have a particular option, you set them in
the "automagic kernels list" and run update-grub to actually write them
into the kernel lines further down (which happens automatically for
Ubuntu kernel packages).