Fwd: Help for Screen resolution

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Sun Oct 7 18:33:27 UTC 2007

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 17:31:49 +0200, Ashfaq Shaikh <ashfaq.s76 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>  tried to reconfigure xorg, from recovery at boot, did all the steps as
> instructed but no change. Although I did choose the required resolution
> of
> 1440x900 in xorg config, but after rebooting no change is seen, accept
> one!
> now if I enable the nvidia restricted driver the pc reboots in Ubuntu but
> the desktop freezes. Nothing works after clicking, and I had to go
> through
> reconfiguration again but the problem with resolution is not resoved.

I don't know the real sollution, but I know that a lot of work has been
done in Gutsy to improve xorg's usability, including a GUI tool for
switching screen resolutions.
I'm running Gutsy on my main machine, and it is pretty stable, not really
had any problems with it.
So if you can risk running pre-Beta software and have 3 hours time and a
broadband connection, you can upgrade your Feisty to Gutsy. To do that do:
update-manager -d
on the commandline.
It will open the update manager with the option to upgrade to Gutsy
displayed.

Hope that helps...

Richard