SSH hangs

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sat Oct 6 11:57:30 UTC 2007

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> I've had this happen using my OS X system and Ubuntu system.
>>
>> I'll ssh in, can forward X applications, etc., but as soon as I type
>> "exit" to close the session, it just seems to hang. I can only finally
>> cut it off by opening another terminal and using kill on the "local"
>> ssh process.
>>
>> What causes this?  Anyone else run into it?
>
> Probably you started some KDE programs on the remote machine. KDE starts
> some daemons which are still running when you try to logout, but logout
> is stalled until those daemons are stopped. You could kill those
> processes on the remote machine before you logout.

The only things I know I've run lately tunneled are Mozilla-thunderbird
and the vmware console.  In the past I've also run Firefox on a remote
machine (although there's also some magic there where, if I remember
right, it brought up the local machine's version of FF.)  I've also run
Open Office.

Unless something is "automagically" monitoring in the background, I
thought all of these were either independent or Gnome-based?

As an addendum to the forwarding message I sent just a few minutes ago,
I do have port-forwarded sessions running in the background to redirect
some mail often running, but not always when this happens and they're
done on separate instances (machine A has 2 ssh forwarding sessions
running and a third ssh that I'm using to console into another machine,
and that third one is what may hang when I log out).