Bad traffic rates to de.archiives.ubuntu.com

email.listen at googlemail.com email.listen at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 5 17:23:03 UTC 2007

Am Fr, 5. Oktober 2007 16:45:56 schrieb Markus Schönhaber:
> email.listen at googlemail.com wrote:
> > Anyone else who has such poor download rates from Germany?
>
> Yep, me. I blamed the OpenOffice security update - which is rather big.
> Don't know if that's really the culprit, though.
> In the past, I have found the German servers to be very fast.
There are no german servers anymore: cdimage.ubuntu.com is the same machine
than de.ubuntu.com.

I didn't test the other country specific servers (it, es, uk, us. cd, ...) but

But it might be that a request gets rerouted to a near by machine may be by
round robin[1] dns entries. So therefore even if there are different machines
a request to a specific one (here de.) like de, ca, it... always will point
to the same machine when the request is done from the same country.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_robin_DNS

regards,
thomas