Dual monitor possible?

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 5 17:09:42 UTC 2007

I've been following this thread for some time noting
the difficulty Megan is having with command line
instructions and being a newbie(noobie). I had much
the same trouble when I first switched from windows to
Debian linux. In this regard, why in the world are you
having her use vim?  I had the same trouble she has as
vim is much more complicated than nano and I use nano
all the time with sudo to modify any files I need to.
If sudo doesn't work as it wont on certain directories
then I just do su(yes I did establish a root account
as per Debian because it's more familiar than the
Ubuntu way).  There are some other issues with Megan
being able to explicitly follow instructions and, I
don't mean to be critical, so she doesn't need to have
additional complications.
Vim is powerful and more to the liking of experts,
which I'm not. I would recommend that Megan use:

sudo nano <file name to be modified>
Use the complete path name if you are not in the
directory that contains the file.
Make the desired changes, then hit CNTR-O(Writeout) to
save the modified file and CNTR-X(Exit) to quit nano.
Nothing to it and the function keys are shown at the
bottom of the editor page. So easy, IMHO.
Written from the newbie point of view and I hope it
helps Megan. Intending no offense to anyone.