Command Line Interfaces

Pete Holsberg pjh42 at pobox.com
Thu Oct 4 21:16:55 UTC 2007

Brian McKee pounded out the following on his or her keyboard on
10/4/2007 3:54 PM:
> On 04/10/2007, Pete Holsberg <pjh42 at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>  What controls the resolution in the console?
>>  Pretend I'm a Unix geek. Now what's your answer? :-)
>>

> I'll take a stab at this -
> What's displaying the console?  I've got a Digital VT220 here that the
> resolution was set back in the 70s and it hasn't changed since. Font
> selection is kinda hardwired too... :-)
It's a Dell LCD monitor in a Dell PC with an on-board video "card".
> Framebuffer yes or no?

No idea. How do I find that out?

> If framebuffer yes then you can alter resolution by passing arguments
> to the kernel at boot - i.e. the vga=771 stuff in grub
> see <http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/Howto_Change_Font_Size_During_Boot_Framebuffer_Resolution>

I've already tried that and it failed, so I guess I do not have a
framebuffer.

> If framebuffer no then it's somehow tied into font size - and I'm way
> over my head.  Traditionally is 80x25 but you can change that even
> without framebuffer...  I remember googling up related info while I
> was trying to make a Mac 80x25 at the console (never succeeded
> either...)
> Try man consolechars  and or look at
> http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/howtos/Cyrillic/Cyrillic-HOWTO-3.html

I'll install kbd and see what I can do with that.

Thanks.

--
Pete Holsberg
Columbus, NJ

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the
lesson afterwards.
- Sanders' Law