Network manager problem

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Thu Oct 4 15:13:17 UTC 2007

On Thursday 4 October 2007 Kenneth P. Turvey's cat, walking on the keyboard,
wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 06:27:05 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 02:28 +0000, Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
> >> But then it quit.  It used to list the nearby wireless
> >> networks and allow me to connect to them.  It would even automatically
> >> connect if I had connected to them before.  Now it doesn't do any of
> >> that. There is no indication that it is doing anything.  When I click
> >> on it there is a grayed out menu item with "wired network" in it and
> >> an enabled menu item that says "manual configuration".  There isn't
> >> anything else.
> >
> > My laptop has a button to toggle the state of WLAN and bluetooth.
> > Sometimes the cat walks over the laptop and steps on the button. Then
> > the WLAN goes off, and I cannot reenable it due to the same symptoms you
> > see. Does your laptop also have a button? :)
>
> It does, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.  I know I enabled and
> disabled the wireless numerous times before this occurred without any
> problems.  I've been connecting to the wireless networks using iwconfig,
> but this isn't the ideal solution.

I found a problem running knetworkmanager: after I switched it to a manual
configuration (i.e., with static ip) I was not able to reconnect it to a
wifi. I used the network manager of the other desktop (in my case gnome) and
run it,after that my favourite network manager was ok again.
I don't have any rational solution for this, only suppose that it has some
configuration file that I cannot find....

Hope this helps.

Luca