Problems syncing jpilot on Gutsy -- yes, I know it's beta ;-)

Peter Spotts pspotts at alum.mit.edu
Thu Oct 4 14:11:04 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 09:40 -0400, Craig Maloney wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I've got a Tungsten E2 I'm trying to sync with Jpilot on Xubuntu Gusty.
> > The latest pilot-link is installed. I've tried several "devices" in
> > Jpilot settings -- /dev/pilot, ttyUSB0, and ttyUSB1 -- to no avail.
>
> I used to have a Palm, so I'm going strictly off of memory... here's a
> couple of things to check:
>
> 1) Are you running gpilotd? Run 'ps -ef | grep pilot' to verify. If so,
> jpilot won't be able to bind to it.
> 2) Are you hitting the hotsync button on the palm before hitting sync in
> jpilot?
> 3) I remember having to edit a file to get jpilot to work with Feisty, but
> I don't remember which, or what I added. I remember thinking I'd have to
> chase a successive TTYUSB entry every single time. I'm not sure if it's
> been fixed so that /dev/pilot is consistently created with the new device
> or not.
>
> I'll do some more R&D to see if I can find my changes. Hopefully the first
> two tips will help out.

>   Craig Maloney  (craig at decafbad.net)        http://decafbad.net
>     Work Hard.  Rock Hard.  Eat Hard.  Sleep Hard.  Grow Big.
>     Wear Glasses If You Need 'Em.  -- The Webb Wilder Credo

Went deeper into a thread and found the answer:

Setting device to usb: , not any of those I mentioned in my original
email...

Thanks for your willingness to pitch in and help!

Pete
--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
The Christian Science Monitor

"The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
            -- Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"