Dual monitor possible?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 02:22:06 UTC 2007

On 04/10/2007, Ashley Benton <meggalen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again
> I did what you wrote (update, upgrade...) It doesn't seem to have changed
> anything. The second screen doesn't seem to be recognized. When I did sudo
> nvidia-settings I would have been able to change the settings for the new
> card, no mention of the old one. I didn't change anything since it seems to
> work fine, and the screen that is not working (or at least not configured to
> work) is plug in the old card.
> While I was in the terminal it printed:"suggested packages:
> nvidia-kernel-source" Do I do "sudo apt-get install nvidia-kernel-sources" ?
> or is it no important? And is the command I would type OK?

No, you don't need to install any kernel or driver sources. It won't
do any good at all.

Does your original graphics card have two monitor outputs? If so,
connect both screens to that one. Trying to get dual-head going with 2
different cards is harder than one. Even if they're both nVidia ones,
both have to be new enough and closely-enough related to work with the
same driver.

Genuinely, to get this going, you're going to find life /much/ easier
if you upgrade to the current version of Ubuntu. If you haven't
changed many things, this should be fairly easy and trouble-free. I'd
suggest upgrading to the current version now - that's 7.04 - and then
again to 7.10 when it comes out. 2 smaller steps are probably easier
than one big one.

If it goes wrong, you can always just reinstall it again. You've done
it once, after all! It gets easier the more you do it and newer
versions are easier to install.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508