Gutsy Feedback

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 3 18:26:19 UTC 2007

On 10/03/2007 12:47 AM, Chanchao wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 17:41 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>
>> Glad it worked for you. I spent yesterday upgrading my test server
>> (w/desktop) & that took all day. Upgrading a laptop today & even with
>> the alternate CD it's 6 hours in (4 to do from CD with dependency
>> complaints all through the process & 2 hours for it to fetch another 442
>> partial updates, etc., etc.).
>
> Oh.. I just upgraded my laptop the day before yesterday, and it all went
> pretty flawless.  The main issue I ran into didn't even have anything to
> do with the install, namely that it needs like almost 1.4 GIGABYTES of
> space to do the upgrade.  I didn't have that much available, so I had to
> remove a bunch of packages, do the upgrade, and then add them again. Oh
> well; hard disk space is cheap I guess. :)

Had the same problem on my test server - I only had 1GB of free space,
so I had to do the same :-) It would be nice if the install used the
swap drive to eliminate this problem - my swap (on another drive) had
3GB free.

BTW: I'm on day 3, machine 3. We'll see how that one goes as it's a
dual-boot (WinXPP on the other drive) with mapped drives. Oh & the test
server is still doing partials - this mornings when I fired it up had
another 35 to go... I am happy to report though that the laptop seems to
be working & so far the only problem that I found is that somehow Samba
did not get upgraded nor reinstalled.