Send/receive mail in text mode in ubuntu

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Oct 3 17:31:01 UTC 2007

Rashkae wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Sauro Cesaretti wrote:
>>
>>> First of all, I'd like to avoid postfix and sendmail.
>>
>> You can't avoid "sendmail".  You're going to need _some_ mail transfer
>> agent, and they all implement sendmail.
>
> This is not really correct,, Sendmail implements smtp.. so does postfix
> and Exim... they do not 'implement' sendmail.

Yes, it's _really_ correct.  They all install a /usr/bin/sendmail.  Every
single one of the half-dozen I've used.

>> Exim isn't going to solve any fetchmail errors.  The error you were
>> getting was caused by the fact that no SMTP server was running and
>> fetchmail, by default, delivers mail to the SMTP server on localhost:25.
>
> Exim is an SMTP server, and a perfectly good alternative to Sendmail..
> (In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I believe Exim is the default mailserver
> for Debian distro, although most distros use Postfix now... Slackware
> might well be the last Linux distro to package sendmail by default)

I didn't say any different.  In fact, I used Exim very successfully for
years.  He doesn't want to use Exim though, and it really didn't solve any
fetchmail error - it did, however, start an SMTP server on localhost:25
which Sauro didn't originally have.
--
derek