Cannot read partitions

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Oct 3 17:17:54 UTC 2007

Liam Proven wrote:

> All right... But this is serious fiddling you're doing here. I don't
> mean to mock, but if you're doing half-hearted mucking around like
> trying to convert a Windows partition to a Linux one, you probably
> shouldn't be playing with high-end filesystems like jfs.

That makes no sense at all to me.  I absolutely suggest you should ONLY be
considering high-end filesystems.  Reiser is no longer such a thing, and
ext3 never has been.

> Be serious: back up any data, reformat the machine, work out a
> partitioning scheme (I suggest boot/root/home/swap as a minimum), and
> for a desktop machine, use something vanilla like ext3.
>
> JFS is a filesystem for an enterprise server holding a few terabytes.
> We're talking large hardware-controlled RAIDs of preferably SAS disks
> and JFS volumes layered on top of LVM.

JFS is an extremely versatile and stable filesystem.  Ext3 is a clunky old
Model-T.

> Honestly, trust me. I've been doing stuff like this for 20y. You're
> mixing and matching two bad things: [1] in-place OS and filesystem
> swaps & [2] inappropriate choice of filesystems.

Well, son, I've been doing it for much longer than that...

Where did anybody even mention "OS and filesystem swaps", anyway?  He wiped
the NTFS partition and put a JFS partition in to use the space.  No backup
at all, because he said it had no usable data in it.

>> I used ntfs-3g for about 6 months, then it started causing corruption on
>> the Windows side, and even after everything was apparently fixed using
>> Windows Scandisk, only about 50% of the files I tried to read via ntfs-3g
>> could be
>> read without IO errors.  I remounted with the read-only NTFS driver and
>> could read flawlessly.
>
> Like I said before: don't use NFTS from Linux. If you need shared
> access, use FAT32, or better still, put the shared data on a dedicated
> fileserver.

NTFS is _fine_, read-only, for getting data _off_ the Windows partition.
Read/Write is still not an option with ntfs-3g.
--
derek