is it possible to edit files directly on FTP?

John Carlyle-Clarke jpcc at bigfoot.com
Wed Oct 3 12:10:34 UTC 2007

Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 18:47 +0100, Gabriel Dragffy wrote:
>
>> For example using Gnome I can create a folder on the Desktop that
>> shows me the files in my webserver. I double-click a file and it
>> opens in Gedit, which is great, but it won't let me save that file
>> back to the FTP folder after making changes. Is there anyway to
>> achieve this, it would be so convenient!
>>
>> Gabe
>>

> I use gFTP and have assigned gedit as my editor in the preferences for
> gFTP. I use gnome and it works nicely. When you save the file and leave
> gedit, the a window pops up asking you if you want to upload the
> changes.

A command line alternative is to use ncftp (which I always seem to go
back to - it's truly wonderful) and make sure that the environment
variable EDITOR is set to your preferred editor (e.g. /usr/bin/vim).

With this setup, the same occurs - you type "edit somefile", the file is
downloaded and the editor started.  When you save and quit the editor,
you are asked whether you want to upload the changes.