Noobie question concerning upgrading, was Re: Daper -> Fiesty

Felipe Figueiredo philsf79 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 10:45:26 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 03 October 2007 05:35:28 Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 22:06 -0300, Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> > I guarantee, though, that first of all I tried the basic documented
procedure of
> > dist-upgrade, as I have a little experience with debian, and has done it
at
> > least once manually from dapper to edgy and edgy to feisty.
>
> Of course I can't judge your case, as I don't know the details of what
> you did, and I don't know your level of proficiency. I just know that I
> have 8 years experience on Debian and Debian-like systems, including
> their development branches, and I have performed countless
> dist-upgrades, and pulled myself out of hairy broken dependencies. I
> have yet to see a dist-upgrade that was not feasible.

So, you're obviously more experienced than me. Even so, I'm sill curious as to
what exactly kept me from succeeding, as I didn't quite understand the
gotcha.

Unfortunately, even if I had the time availbale (which can always be
arranged), the only PC I have in hand is a very old laptop, in which the
default isnstallation would take at least some hours to complete (text-only,
because it lacks RAM to boot the liveCD).

You seem to be more safe of the theory of the procedure than myself, so I'm
still interested in hearing your experience in this, should you find
time/resources to test it (if only to give us a more precise answer). Maybe
you could even clear a path for some bug reports and workarounds - it is a
FAQ after all, isn't it? Many would benefit if a Dapper -> Feisty or
Dapper -> Gutsy upgrade path was discovered, and published.

> > There's no officially supported procedure for this task (dapper to
feisty), no
> > wonder why.
>
> dist-upgrades with apt-get/aptitude are not supported AT ALL. With good
> reason, the only supported path is to use update-manager (which will

In ubuntu, you're correct. But IIRC apt-get/aptitude is the default upgrade
method in debian.

> have a cmd line interface in the future, I think). It would be no
> technical problem for the devs to create upgrade paths for
> update-manager that skip one or more releases, but obviously the
> overhead is much too high, and how many paths would there need to be?
> Dapper - Edgy, Dapper - Feisty, Dapper - Gutsy, Dapper -Hardy, Edgy -
> Feisty, Edgy - Gutsy, Edgy - Hardy, .... you see that it would be
> impossible.

Only if we wanted a supported way of doing things ;-) I would be satisfied
with a workaround that worked, if only to spend some time watching packages
being downloaded by apt... I need better hobbies, I know.

regards
FF
--
- Porque quebra a linha de leitura.
- Por que não é bom escrever o reply em cima do email?