is it possible to edit files directly on FTP?

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Wed Oct 3 03:32:53 UTC 2007

Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 04:03:05PM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> Switch to KDE?  I don't know if it's possible with Gnome & VFS, but in KDE
>> you use kio slaves, and "kate ftp://host/file" works fine (or smb:, and
>> many other protocols).
>
> vim/gvim has had this functionality for some time. It may be a
> 'plugin' but it can do it. Across also a short shell script to
> download, edit file, upload if the file has changed would not be
> hugely complicated.

    I don't know if FTP works with it, since I've not tried, but Gnome's
"Connect to Server" application does this with ssh, and it's pretty
smooth. (Has anyone mentioned that, yet?)

  Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
  Evansville, IN                              http://Fahrlander.net/brian
  ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller