Noobie question concerning upgrading, was Re: Daper -> Fiesty

Felipe Figueiredo philsf79 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 01:06:14 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 02 October 2007 20:37:09 Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 20:07 -0300, Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> > It was when Feisty was recently released, so I don't remember the details.
But
> > aptitude's "advanced dependency algorithm" (compared to apt-get) wasn't
> > enough - it gave up after several minutes every time I tried.
> >
> > I also tried to make it one step at a time (upgrade/dist-upgrade, then
retry;
> > sometimes a reboot in between, even against my beliefs that it wouldn't
> > matter - and in fact it didn't). Then I reached a point when no package
> > upgrade was possible.
>
> It does not sound as if you exhausted all venues. What about "apt-get -f
> install", cautious use of "dpkg -i --force-things", etc.? Also I don't
> think it's such a good idea to upgrade before doing a dist-upgrade.

As I said, I don't remember the particulars of what I tried, so I
intentionally left out the details, to avoid making mistakes. I guarantee,
though, that first of all I tried the basic documented procedure of
dist-upgrade, as I have a little experience with debian, and has done it at
least once manually from dapper to edgy and edgy to feisty.

> > > What do you mean?
> > >

> > That the problems I faced are expected to happen, by the devels, and will
be
> > dealt with the time comes.
>
> You did not use the officially supported upgrade procedure,

There's no officially supported procedure for this task (dapper to feisty), no
wonder why. I get your point though, and I'm sure I did use it.

Strangely, you seem to know what I did, even though I'm not sure of it myself.
If you'd like to give it a try, I'd be happy to hear your experiences.

> and so you
> are on your own when you upgrade with apt-get or aptitude.

As I said earlier, it was a test, and I didn't really expect it to work - even
if I succeeded, I would not use it as a production installation.

regards
FF

--
- Porque quebra a linha de leitura.
- Por que não é bom escrever o reply em cima do email?