Gutsy Feedback

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 3 00:41:43 UTC 2007

On 10/02/2007 02:16 PM, Nils wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I wrote a small blog post about my experiences with Gutsy so far:
> http://emerging-patterns.com/blog/articles/2007/10/02/gutsy-gibbon
>

> greets
>
> Nils

Glad it worked for you. I spent yesterday upgrading my test server
(w/desktop) & that took all day. Upgrading a laptop today & even with
the alternate CD it's 6 hours in (4 to do from CD with dependency
complaints all through the process & 2 hours for it to fetch another 442
partial updates, etc., etc.).

I can say that the server finally & after many multiple 'partial'
updates works. Still working on the laptop. This is looking to be the
Vista of Ubuntu...
Evolution A4 print bugs not fixed in Feisty: upgrade to Gutsy.
OpenOffice bugs not fixed in Feisty: upgrade to Gutsy, etc., etc.
[I am happy to report that many of the Evo & OOo bugs do seem to be
fixed in 7.10]

I have to say that I used to complain when it took 4 hours to perform an
IBM 3705 upgrade... but no longer. For Ubuntu reserve at least 1 day per
machine & don't forget to keep an eye on the upgrade as you'll need to
answer all sorts of 'keep this' configuration questions along the way.
In other words, you can't just start the upgrade and come back later to
see if it's finished. Invariably somewhere along the way it will stop
with dependency problems and/or questions as to keep your exisiting
configs or 'upgrade' to new ones.

Somewhere along the line we've got to figure out a way to do these
upgrades in a more user friendly mode. However, given the nature of the
beast (linux in general) I'm not sure if that will ever be possible
without creating another MS$ type of OS whereby everyone uses the same
version w/patches pushed out to all on a regular basis. (Not an option
that I'd vote for though:-). Just checked on the laptop upgrade; says it
has another 1 hour 35 minutes to go for those 'partial' updates that
were downloaded at 1.5Mb per sec earlier :_0