Couple of questions

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Oct 2 19:56:22 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 03:24:46PM -0400, msmarti58 wrote:
> > When you ask a question it is polite to start your own thread, meaning
> > start a new email rather than piggybacking/hijacking someone else's
> > thread. Please see:
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. I hit reply (in Windows Live Mail, my email
> client), changed the subject, and began my message at the top of the page.

When you hit "reply", you replied to an existing thread. To avoid doing this
you need to make a "fresh" email so that the existing headers for a different
"conversation" will not cause your email to appear as part of that grouping.

> On the Kubuntu mailing list they insisted I reply at the TOP of the message
> with the other message underneath. Generally I am used to putting my reply
> below, as I am doing here.

I'm extremely surprised by this - I don't subscribe to the Kubuntu list, but
I have never encountered a Linux mailing list that did not prefer bottom posting
or interpolation of replies.

> I am not generally using Ubuntu much, but did have some questions about it.

You are of course welcome to ask questions, or answer them - the attempt is merely
being made to familiarise you with the conventions, so that you won't be flamed,
and you won't inconvenience other list users ;-)

Peter