changed shell to tcsh, now can't login

Jay Lieurance jmlieurance at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 2 15:41:51 UTC 2007

Hi,

Thanks.

Good idea.

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:37:15 +0200
From: Gilles at Gravier.org
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: changed shell to tcsh, now can't login

Try booting the installation CD... then mounting your hard disk.

Then edit the /etc/passwd of your hard disk... The last field of this
file is your shell... replace with /bin/bash and reboot ...

You might just have made a typo... tcsh is /usr/bin/tcsh ... This means
that /etc/passwd needs to contain /usr/bin/tcsh at the end of the
line... not just tcsh ...

Gilles.

Jay Lieurance wrote:

  Hi,

I changed my shell to tcsh on my ubuntu 7.04 server. I logged out and
when I logged back in, it said it can't find the file. Since that is
the only account, what do I do, reload?

Thanks.

  Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together at
last. Get it now!

--
Signature Home Chastity

      Gilles Gravier = Gilles at Gravier.org = http://www.gravier.org/

      ICQ : 77488526  || MSN Messenger : Gilles at Gravier.org

      Skype : ggravier || Y! : ggravier || AOL : gillesgravier

      PGP Key ID : 0x8DE6D026

      My Last Known
Position / Ma Derniere Position Connue

"Chastity
is its own punishment." (Solomon Short)
[David Gerrold]

      "De toutes les
aberrations sexuelles, la chasteté est la plus aberrante." [Anatole France]