Mounting a hard disk

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 17:19:30 UTC 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 5:12 PM, Preston Hagar <prestonh at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > try this
> > >
> > > sudo mount /dev/hdd1 /media/yournewdrive
> >
> > Thanks, Isaru. The point is that I do not know whether it is hdb, hdc,
> > hdd, etc.? How can I learn that?
>
> Two different ways to do this (there are probably more than two, these
> are just the two off of the top of my head):
>
> run this command:
>
> dmesg | less
>
> and look for hd or sd entries.  If you new disk is SATA or SCSI, it
> will start with sd, not hd.
>
> Way 2:
>
> sudo apt-get install lshw
> sudo lshw -class disk
>
> This should list all of the disks in your machine.

Thanks, Preston. I am trying the following but with no success:

# mount /dev/sdb2 /media/iso
mount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'
root at mypc:/home/paulus# mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb2 /media/iso
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb2,
       dmesg | tail  or so

#

Any ideas?

Paul